Saturday, August 4, 2012

YOU are going to make something delicious!

I am going to tell you how to make your own breadcrumbs.  You can use them for many dishes.  I'll be the first to admit that I neither chef nor cook.  I just know how to follow directions, fairly well.  It's usually hit or miss.  This process, however, is always a hit.  

I will normally only need a small amount, because I only have to really cook for two adults.  I save the end pieces from a loaf of bread and all the crumbs from inside the bag.  I prefer Food for Life bread  http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/ezekiel-49/breads , so that's what I use for my crumbs.  You may use ANY type you like.  If you wanted to use hamburger buns, you could...anything works.  Dump these into the chopper.  I recommend breaking the bread up into small pieces, first.  



Chop the bread until it becomes very fine "crumbs".  



Dump the crumbs onto a foil lined cookie sheet.  Be sure the crumbs are spread out so that they will toast completely.  


Bake in a preheated 250° oven for 5 minutes, stir, and continue to bake for additional 5 minutes.  Now, if you are baking dense or moist breads, then you may need to bake a little longer.  The trick is taking the pan out every so often and stirring the crumbs.  If they feel coarse and crunchy, they are ready.  If they are still soft and spongy, then they need to stay in a little longer.  Remember, stirring is important so that they bake evenly and don't burn.  

Once your breadcrumbs are finished, let them cool.  Then, you may add any spices you like.  Some ideas:  Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt, Parmesan Cheese, Garlic Powder, and Parsley Flakes, Italian Seasoning.  The ratios will depend on your taste! 



Until you're ready to cook, store your crumbs in the fridge or freezer!


To actually use the breadcrumbs, I recommend dipping chicken breasts in melted butter (I use about 1/4 C Smart Balance).  Then, roll them in the breadcrumbs.  Place meat on foil lined pan that has been sprayed with PAM.  Sprinkle any remaining crumbs over meat and pour any remaining butter over, as well.  Bake uncovered at 350 °  for an hour or until the juices run clear.    

I used the same recipe for flounder fillets, last night, and it was super good.  Just cut baking time to 10 minutes and bump temp up to 450° !

Oooooh, Mama!  It's some good eatin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment